Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Week One Post Op

March 14, 2006 – Day 1 Post Op - Some Reassurance

It is 8:40 a.m. here. Buddy slept all night. He isn't walking yet. The vet thinks it's still the effects of the epidural. They want to keep him there throughout the day today. I will get another update at 4:00 p.m. If he is not coming home tonight, I will get to visit him.

March 14, 2006 Still Day 1 Post Op – Visiting Hours


I went to visit Buddy at the hospital this afternoon. He is doing better but still having some difficulty standing and walking. He is on his feet though. He has to stay till he pees which gives me great chuckles since he has always been somewhat prolific in that department. It's just that due to the epidural he doesn't feel the pressure to go.

He has a scrawny shaved butt and big scars with 18 staples each. He was pretty glad to see me. Big licks and snuggles. He will come home some time tomorrow if all goes well overnight and in the morning. As always, everyone comments on his sweet loving personality. And they are amazed at how well behaved and cooperative he is. This also makes me chuckle as it has not always been so. This is the result of hours and hours of training.

He will have an easier time at home walking on the carpet. And the ramp will help him in and out of the house. Still not sure when we start the underwater treadmill therapy.

I feel much better for having seen him. Tomorrow will be a big day.

March 15, 2006 –Day 2 Post Op - Coming Home

We picked him up this morning and he is happy to be here. He is walking on his own without the sling but confused about why he can't get to his backside. He is wearing an “Elizabethan collar” so he can’t get to the pain patch on his rear end. He's on meds and we are keeping him separated from Princess till he adjusts to being home again.

March 16, 2006 – Day 3 Post Op - Hobble Wobble

We are calling his new gait as he navigates the house and yard the Hobble Wobble. He is walking on his own and surprising me with his determination. I thought he would be limping and taking cautious baby steps. No no. Not this guy. He going his usual full tilt and somehow getting the back end to come along. I guess it's not all that different from what he was living with before.

He is on meds for anti-inflammation and also anti-biotics. He will wear a pain patch (and the dreaded collar to keep him from eating it) until tomorrow night. Then he will have pain pills for awhile. He is eating his normal diet. Right now he is on his bed watching the Today show.
He goes back on the 27th for suture removal. And on the 29th he has his initial visit with the physical therapist. Check it out:
www.cascadeparkanimalhospital.com. They will develop a treatment plan for me to do at home. He will go twice a week for the underwater treadmill.

At this point I feel very optimistic. The surgeon was quite pleased with how things went and she will be glad to hear how he is up and about so soon. She had told me I would need to use a sling "for a few days" to help him walk. No need for that. He is like a toddler with his "I can do it myself!" attitude.


The staff at the hospital fell in love with him and commented again when we picked him up about how cooperative and well-behaved he was. Well...I wondered. Of course he behaves when I am there, but what does he do when I am gone? Now I know. I am very proud of him. He is a stalwart little survivor.

Princess has been fine with him after the initial sniffing all over. She stays close and I am being careful to give her some special attention also. We had to skip our walk yesterday as I couldn't leave Buddy alone. She was confused about that but we played some inside games to compensate.


So here we are. It is pouring down rain outside so I don't mind being home all day and enjoying the company of my companions.

March 17, 2006 – Day 4 Post Op - The Learning Curve

Well that's for the both of us. Learning I mean. I had no idea what Buddy was in for and I certainly had no idea what the caretaker role would be. It is very clear that an animal that has this surgery must be closely monitored and watched full time for at least the first two weeks. I am fortunate to be able to stay with Buddy and my daughter is helping out with errands.

He had a tough day yesterday (day three after the surgery). He is so frustrated with the cone collar. Thankfully it will come off tonight. He is moving on his own. And this morning he used the ramp on his own without being guided by me. He is eating and peeing and pooping so that's all okay. He slept through the night. I accidentally knocked his leg when putting on the sling and he yelped. The only sign of pain so far. But...for him...pain has been a constant for a long time.

Princess has assumed an odd role. She is interpreting for him. Barking when she thinks he needs to go out or needs to eat. ??? She does that "Lassie" thing, barking and running from Buddy to the door or Buddy to the food dish. It is almost as if she needs to be reassured that I am taking care of him. This morning is the first time she has gone to a different part of the house and left him in the living room. Till now she has stayed close by him.

The rain continues and makes our outside time unpleasant. The yard is a sea of mud. After one throw, the ball is covered with muck and I have to wear rubber gloves to play with her. Princess does not care. She loves the puddles.

March 18, 2006 – Day 5 Post Op – Four Beat Gait

The poisonous patch is off (and properly disposed of) and no more need for the cone. He spent a good deal of time licking himself all over after these were taken off. He is moving on his own. For the first time he is using each of his back legs separately.

When I opened the door this morning, he went down the stairs instead of the ramp. Coming back up the stairs is not yet possible although he gave it a try. Then went round to the ramp and up.


From here it looks like it will be a gradual daily improvement over the next ten days. Then I will have a therapy plan to guide me. Not sure when he will be able to go for walks on a leash. Or for what distance? Or duration? Right now we are confined to the house with some ventures into the yard. He has gone the length of the yard to his favorite viewing spot under the big pine tree (out of the rain).

He spends a lot of time sitting up rather than laying down. Not sure why that is??? He likes to lean against something and doze in an upright position.

March 19, 2006 - Day 6 Post Op – The Ramp Is Essential

I am compiling all I have written about Buddy into one document. A diary of his sojourn from injured puppy in a ditch to the current situation with his hip surgery.

He is sleeping happily in his crate at night. Glad to get up with tail wagging in the morning. He is stiff at first so we wait about 15 minutes to go outside. He is using the ramp by himself and no longer needs the sling. He does seem to need reassurance and encouragement so I go out with him and stand by the ramp. He than takes off in the yard and is now going all the way down to the poop spot on his own.

His appetite is great! The raised bowl makes it easier for him to eat. He is asking to go on his walk and I don't know what to do. I take Princess and he stands by the door with that soulful look. Not sure when I can start taking him.

He goes about the house at will. Down to check on the bedrooms, out to the kitchen for water and to be sure his food dish is still there. Back and forth between dog beds. He is not whining or complaining. As I said he is using the back legs alternately now although it is still an odd gait. He continues to go full tilt. No slow limping for him!

He and Princess are back to playing and tussling and rolling around on the floor. She is being fairly gentle with him although he must be better in her opinion as yesterday she did her alpha dog paw across the neck thing.

Life with the dogs is busy, but happy and I think the road to recovery will be smooth.

March 20, 2006 – One Week After Surgery – New Beginnings

Buddy is going down the back steps like he used to and running and playing in the sunshine in the yard. His level of activity has increased dramatically the last two days. When he runs his back legs are straight and apart and move alternately.

Sometimes, though, he reverts to the old bunny hop and I think it may be more from habit than necessity. He continues to use the ramp as he can't manage to go up the stairs. He still has strange posture when he sits, but he is not flopped over like he used to be. His spirits are good and he is eating with gusto.

On this first day of Spring, I have high hopes that the improvement will continue and he will soon be able to go for walks with me like Princess does.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home