Wednesday, April 05, 2006

All Things Considered

March 3, 2006 - Observations

Since our visit to the vet, I have observed Buddy very carefully. I do not believe he is in constant unrelenting pain. I see how joyful he is in the morning when I come down the hall and he starts banging the crate with his tail. He is so glad to see me and then he runs (and he does run) down the hall to find Princess. Then they do their happy thing with each other, rolling around and running the whole circle of the house. He bounds down the stairs when I open the door to let them out. Would he do that if he was in pain?

When I call them to come in, he comes (major achievement here!) tail wagging and bunny hops up the stairs. Sometimes he stops at the bottom and contemplates them for awhile. It is possible that he knows it will be a little difficult, but he doesn't really refuse. Andy built him a nice ramp but he doesn't use it. ????

When I came back from my walk with Princess last night, Buddy was so excited as that usually means his turn is coming. I have not been taking him as the vet said it was so hard for him to walk. But yesterday I put the collar on. He was so excited. He just loves the walks. He keeps looking up at me as we go along and he heels so nicely. I go at a leisurely pace and stop occasionally for him to rest. I cannot believe he is in pain. He has his friends along the way (dogs and people) and he loves to visit.

He may ache, he may be stiff (this old lady knows how that feels) but I don't think he is hurting. He knows his limitations. He knows he can't jump into the car. He also knows I will help him and he stands patiently and cooperates as best he can. Like a paraplegic, his two good limbs are very strong.

Thinking about quality of life, I think I have given him a very good life so far. He is such a happy guy and everyone who meets him says that. He is just disabled. As are many people. And there are some things he can't do. But for the most part, his days are full of fun and he has the best I can give him in food and care.

It does seem that bending down to a bowl on the floor is difficult (not sure painful) for him so I let him use a raised bowl. [I know you advise against that, but in this case I think it is a good idea.]

He has never been a "retriever" and is not at all interested in chasing balls or sticks. I think he self monitors and only does what is comfortable or what he is capable of doing. He has very positive interactions with visitors (way way better behaved than Princess was at that age) and he and Princess have a special bond. When he was a puppy she was kind of rough with the discipline, but I have noticed that lately she is much less forceful.

We skipped the training class last week (advice of the vet) but I am taking him back tomorrow. He loves it and it is his birthday and also "graduation." We will go and just do what he feels like doing. I think I have written before that I thought he was stubborn. Now I have changed my mind. I think he just doesn't do what he knows will be difficult for him. Because he is SO cooperative and compliant about the things he can do.

So...for now...I think the quality of his life is pretty good. I have started him on the special food and I am considering adding pain meds and/or joint supplements to see if that helps.

I meet with the surgeon tomorrow to discuss the surgery. But I am somewhat reluctant to do that now. I do not think the time has come for that. I am inclined to make some adjustments myself in what I ask of him and what I do for him, try the less invasive options first, and see what develops.

The other thing I have to do is be careful not to limit Princess by catering to Buddy's problems. I still take her (by herself) down to the Delta to run, run, run and chase the ball till my arm gets tired. She and I still do our Power Walks.

But after giving it much thought, I have decided I want to fulfill my commitment to this pup I rescued by giving him every chance. I do not demand perfection although good behavior is an expectation. And he is well behaved. I want to see how he lives with his disability and just be very diligent about observing changes that might mean he is going downhill. Signs of pain.

Am I being selfish? He is such an important part of my life. I have put down a number of pets in the past. Sometimes by my own hand. I have always known when it was the right thing to do. And I have not shied away from it even though it was heartbreaking.

I have never lost a pet from an accident. All have reached old age before they died of natural causes or I made the hard call. Over all the years of my life I have taken care of the creatures that I am responsible for. I was warned about this pup and I knew I might have a tough road with him, but I am so glad I decided to keep him. I think he is better off with me than where he might have ended up otherwise.

March 4, 2006 – New Developments

Food: Buddy likes his foot high dish. He is not a gobbler. In fact, he eats one kibble at a time and stops to gaze at his reflection in the oven door or listen to the fridge defrost. Has a lap of water. Turns around a few times. Another bite. I am monitoring the feeding as they are eating two different kinds of food and Miss Princess just wants to have some of Buddy’s as well as her own. I will watch for signs of bloat.

Weight Lifting: I bought a Lift-n-Aid sling apparatus thing-a-mi-jig which works wonders. So much easier for me to pull upward rather than lift from below. This morning we were able to get into the car much more easily. He likes it and stands still for me to put it on. He has seen me put the pack on Princess so many times. He knows it means we are going somewhere.

Information: I checked out two books at the library. I want more information about his problem and also about training and living with handicapped dogs. The books are diametrically opposed but both contain some possibly useful information. My plan is to learn as much as I can and sift out what works for us in the lifestyle we have with our economic circumstances and my own age-related restrictions.

One book is by a vet and very technical about the hip situation. Long descriptions of the surgery options. And of course…recommends the surgery. The other book is by a horse trainer! Named Tellington. Have you heard of her? Called “Getting In Touch With Your Dog.” This is New Age for canines and I can see you throwing up your hands. But honestly…some of what she says makes sense. I have used some of the techniques with abused children to calm them or make them feel more secure. And without knowing it, I have been using some with Buddy just because he is so responsive. Like stroking his ears in long downward strokes clear to the tip. Buddy also likes me to rub his feet. So…I am reading the book and I will give the naturopathy a try too.

Meds/Supplements: No pain meds for now. I will start the glucosamine/chondroitin supplements. At the point when I sense he is experiencing pain I will revisit this issue.

Princess: Families with handicapped children face the problem of other siblings being deprived of attention. I suppose it is the same with dogs. So I am being extremely careful not to shortchange her or skimp on her time. We went down to the river yesterday and she chased her ball till I was too tired to throw anymore. She can't wait to get back in the water. Still too cold and the salmon are running. Soon though.

I am looking for the right path to take here. I suppose there are other dogs with hip problems and perhaps my story will help other owners down the road.

March 5, 2006 – Buddy Graduates

Today is his birthday, and he graduated from Beginning Obedience Class with pretty good grades (expectations were adapted to take his disability into consideration). He now knows SIT, STAY, DOWN, HEEL, COME, DROP IT, and LEAVE IT. He also knows TEETH and will open up wide for examination. Pretty good I think. He is anxious to please and tries his best. He may have a tough road ahead as he grows older. But we love him and are committed to giving him the best possible pain-free life for as long as we can. He has brought much joy into our lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home