Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Week Five Post Op

If you are new to this site, you might want to read the chronology below and then pick up here for updates. Updates are shown with the most recent first.

April 14, 2006 Day 32 Post Op - Everybody Out of the Pool

Buddy had his hydrotherapy today and he went swimming for the first time in his life. In a real pool! He stood at the top of the ramp and was VERY reluctant to get in, but once the therapist eased him in, he did fine. The therapist was in the pool with him guiding him at first. But when she let go of his collar, he swam around, back and forth, using his back legs and doing his Lab shake thing with his ears. He stopped to rest periodically and then the therapist encouraged him to put weight on his back legs by lifting his front paws off the side of the pool.

The water was warm and gently moving so it was very relaxing. He seemed to really enjoy being buoyed up and he likes to float his hind legs and just barely move his front ones. I believe it’s called “dog paddling,” actually. He swam for about half an hour and then did some out-of-the-pool stretching and turning. He still has to be coaxed to STAND but he is getting better and will hold it longer.

He demonstrated how much livelier and sparkier he is by running all over the lobby and adjoining rooms and greeting everyone. He is zonked out now as this was a big day. Dinner time coming up soon and he will bestir himself for that.


April 13, 2006 Day 31 Post Op - One Month Later

Who is this capricious canine cavorting around my living room? Could this be the same Little Buddy? Wow! I am astonished and amazed at how much progress this dog has made after having major surgery only one month ago. He is already able to do many things that he was unable to do before the surgery and it is likely he will continue to show improvement each day.

The most gratifying result is that he appears to be pain free and discovering that certain activities no longer hurt. Last night, he and Princess were roughhousing and being rowdy playing with the Tuggie. This is a favorite game, but mostly they played with it while laying down on the floor. Last night he was standing, putting weight on his hind legs, and using the muscles in those legs to stand firm against the pull of the larger and more powerful dog. He lost, as always, but what great exercise for him. Many thanks and kudos to Princess as therapist.

One thing I am noticing is the condition of his bed when I get him out of the crate in the morning. It used to be a tangle of pad, blanket, towel, and lovey toys from his constant shifting of position during the night. Today it was almost undisturbed and I believe he is getting a night of sound sleep now. This is giving him more energy during the day.

Today I am thankful for my decision to go through with the surgery. I was warned he might not be any better than he had been, but would, at the very least, be pain free. Now I am seeing he is much more than he was before…livelier and very obviously enjoying his life. He has a spark that was absent prior to the surgery. He is coming into his own and is much less submissive to Princess. His inner confidence is growing with his new abilities. Today I am privileged to be a party to this transformation.


April 12, 2006 Day 30 Post Op - Realization Dawns

To watch Little Buddy discover his own new vitality is awesome. He continues to be amazed and that amazes me. As we reach the one month point, he is realizing he can do more and he is up and about and using those new legs with gusto. He is spending much more time on his feet than he ever did before and walking around in the house instead of just laying on his dog bed. You can see a difference in the limbs, with the left leg being a bit weaker and slightly turned, but the right leg is moving straight on.

Today he stood at his feeding dish the entire time he was eating without taking a break to rest and without sitting down. I could see the muscles in his back legs quivering as he got down to the last lick. But he held on. Standing was never something he wanted to do.

Another first, and this is important, is the stretching. After two weeks of having the therapist work on his legs, and my efforts at home, he is starting to do his own stretching several times a day. Last night he laid down in the middle of the floor and stretched his full length with front legs extended by his head and hind legs as far out behind as he could get them. I have never seen this posture before! Princess does this frequently.

Another noticeable difference is the way he lays down. Formerly he made three or more turns and then just toppled over. Now he is going down the same way Princess does without any hesitation. During obedience training we cut him some slack on the DOWN command, but now I may raise the bar a little and start expecting more.

I am realizing that I was deluding myself when I thought he was an active and happy dog before the surgery. Now he IS an active and happy dog and there is a world of difference. The challenge for me is to revise how I treat him and my expectation level. After this short time, I am realizing that he needs to help himself and I need to step back and let him reach his potential without my rushing in to help him or provide assistance.

I believe that once we are cleared by the vet on May 8th, we can resume practicing the obedience commands and polish up his skills. We are already walking a mile a day and by that time, he should be ready to go back on the trail with me for some more vigorous hiking. He may never be 100%, but I think he will come much closer than anyone thought. He is very determined.

April 11, 2006 Day 29 Post Op - Can’t Do It Alone

For anyone considering this surgery for their pet, I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a knowledgeable clear head to consult with and ask for advice. Back in 2003, my great good fortune had hooked me up with an incredible man who calls himself a dog trainer, but in reality is a people trainer. I signed up for a training program for my Black Lab back in the fall of that year, and made a friend that continues to be a strong source of information and support. George Hobson of Eastwood Kennel in Columbia, Missouri has been a critical component of this whole scenario with Little Buddy.

I found George’s card at the Doggie Day Care when I was in Columbia for a work-related conference. I called him and explained that I was a little gray haired old lady with a big out-of-control Black Lab puppy (1 ½ years). I detected some reservation in his voice as he explained he preferred to interview owner and dog first before taking them on. We went out one beautiful end-of-summer evening and met each other. By the end of that session, he had shown me that Princess could learn quickly and I had shown him that I might have the potential to learn as well.

We worked together throughout that fall and at the end I had a wonderful, reliable, and obedient companion. We met my goals of having her heel beside me on my daily exercise walks, to come when I called her, and to obey commands at a distance, DROP IT and LEAVE IT being invaluable out in the rural area where we lived. After the hands-on training, we continued to be in touch via e-mail and phone and throughout these intervening years, George has been a source of advice, information, and moral support. His confidence in me has given me the strength to make decisions and also to adapt basic standards of training to meet my own personal lifestyle and situation.

From the time I considered adopting Little Buddy until today as we are a month past hip dysplasia surgery, George has been that clear head. Asking the tough questions, pointing out things I had not considered, encouraging me when I was down, and cheering us on as we have made progress. I couldn’t have done it alone. To me, this is what being a trainer is all about. I thank my lucky stars for leading me to him. If you are an owner, find one. If you are a trainer, be one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home